PIKE COUNTY, Ill. – Pike County Illinois Health Department has been notified of two new Novel Coronavirus cases in Pike County, a female in her 60’s and a male in his 30’s. Both are isolating at home. Communicable Disease (CD) staff have initiated disease investigations for both cases, including contact tracing and notification of close contacts. Close contacts are in quarantine per CDC guidelines.
A previous positive case has since been hospitalized and a Pike County workplace outbreak has been identified. CDC definition of a workplace outbreak is two or more positive COVID cases (in the last 14 days) working in the same business. CD staff consulted with IDPH to determine that temporary closure of the business is not warranted at this time.
A total of eight COVID cases in Pike County have been reported to PCHD. Six of the eight cases are active cases and two cases are recovered cases. There are currently 59 people under voluntary quarantine due to being a close contact of someone who tested positive for the virus. Please note, CDC advises that critical infrastructure workers may be permitted to continue work following potential exposure to COVID-19, provided they remain asymptomatic and additional precautions are implemented to protect them and the community. To date, there have been over 1,075 tests completed on Pike County residents.
Please remember to:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds – especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with those that are sick.
- Put as much distance between yourself and other people as possible. Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a cloth face covering when around others and unable to socially distance.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue away and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- Please stay home and away from other when you are not feeling well.
**These numbers are provisional and subject to change.